Another Father’s Day, another stepping stone for the garden.
Several years ago we started a tradition of making Daddy a stepping stone for Father’s Day. I love this idea for a number or reasons.
- Molly gets to participate in making Daddy’s gift.
- Each year we select meaningful reminders of the year to place into the stone.
- The stones add such a lovely personal touch to the garden, which we can enjoy year-round (except when they are covered in snow!).
- We have a record of Molly’s hand print and can see how much she has grown each year.
- I don’t have to think of a new, original, heart-felt gift each year!!!!
Here is Molly in the process of making this year’s stone:
Molly is really into dinosaurs. This is also one of Daddy’s passions, so it was a no-brainer to figure out what we were going to include in the stone.
Molly selected and carefully placed a plastic dinosaur at each corner of the stone. She picked an Ankylosaurus, Velociraptor, Hadrosaurus and Spinosaurus.
The reason for these particular dinosaurs was so meaningful: They were all duplicates in the set. She quickly figured out that she could give these up and still have the most variety left for herself. So thoughtful, my girl.
After the dinos were in place, Molly lined the edges with glass beads. This is the first year that she was concerned that the beads followed a set pattern of colors. Showing off her pre-math skills, my big girl is!
Molly was so excited to give the stone to her Dad, but heck, it was only Monday. She had to wait another 6 days to give it to him. That is a loooooong time for a little kid to have to wait. And keep it a secret. But she did.
One last person that I must include in this post: My Daddy!
Happy Father’s Day to these two very special men.
We love you both so much!