Tuesday, November 30, 2010

China Day 12: Pearl River Cruise

When we came home form our adoption trip, I took a lot of my favorite photos and put them on a digital picture frame. Molly has stood in front of that frame for hours over the past 3½ years. She has each picture memorized and knows the story behind each one. One picture was from a riverboat cruise. I always tell her that I had to hold her tight the entire ride because I was afraid that she would fall off of the boat.

When I asked Molly what she wanted to do in China she said, “I want to see the Great Wall, my crib, a panda, and the boat that I fell off of in China.” Well, she didn’t get that story exactly right, but tonight she did get to check of the river cruise from her China “To Do” list. And you know what, I was still afraid that she would fall off of the boat.

Remember that lack of OSHA thing here in China? It holds true for the boats as well. There are lots of spots in the railing where a decent size kid could easily fall through straight down into the churning waters. And there are no railings when you go out on the boat dock either. Not one. A kid (or adult) could slip and fall right into the Pearl River when trying board the boat. Yikes!

But we all made it back to the hotel safe and sound. Just in time for mandarin oranges. I forgot to mention these little beauties before. Oh my! Tiny little itty bitty tangerines--easy to peel, seedless, and oh so scrumptious. It is so easy to eat 6-8 of these little gems at a time. Morning, noon or night. And I have. Lots of times on this trip. We need these in the States!

 

Luke and Molly wait to board our boat.IMG_5019

Here she is. Note the lack of railing on the boat dock. Trey (foreground) was just about at river's edge. Watch out!IMG_5054

Passing another boat.IMG_5030

All the bridges and buildings along the river are lit up for the night.IMG_5022

Molly and Luke sneaking a peek through the railing.IMG_5033

The blurry tower in the background is the second largest tower in the world.IMG_5029

Pretty building.IMG_5037

Lanterns on our boat.IMG_5036

I took this blurry picture for my husband. Look at this thing Tony. Built on prime real estate and 1/4 of the building is bottom floor to top floor atrium. Unused, dead air space. I know how that bothers you. I am sure you would go fill all of those floors in, huh? Just like you want to do to my entry hall! Love and miss you honey! I thought you'd get a kick out of this!IMG_5040

Another pretty building.IMG_5041

And oh, look! Even another pretty building!IMG_5044

The White Swan. Our hotel during our adoption trip.IMG_5045

You can probably fill in this caption. But if not, here it is: Pretty Building!IMG_5048

Mommy holding Molly tight so she won't fall off the boat.IMG_5050

One sleepy girl.IMG_5051

And to top it off a Chinese woman with a monkey on her head. Huh, don't see that everyday.IMG_5060

Mandarin oranges. Tiny little orbs of juicy goodness. Mmmmmmm.IMG_5062

No comments: