Sunday, December 19, 2010

Tis the Season to be….Running Behind!

Most years, Christmas decorations go up the day after Thanksgiving. Nat King Cole is roasting chestnuts on an open fire by the end of November. Christmas presents are all purchased by the first week of December.

But this isn’t most years.

This year we were in China for Thanksgiving and did not return home until December 9th. I was prepared for everything to be running a bit late this year. I figured we’d get home, spend the weekend getting the house decorated and get the shopping done soon after. We’d still have plenty of time to enjoy the season. Fa la la la la, la la la la.

I wasn’t prepared for what happened. At all. I mean how can you prepare for coming down with pneumonia. Or having your husband leave for a business trip while you are sick. Or having a kid who desperately wants the house to look like Christmas, when all you want to do is curl up in a ball and sleep.

Yes, tis the season to be jolly for most, but tis the season to be ailing for me. I had it all, too. Chills, nausea, body aches, burning lungs, splitting headache, fatigue. And it seemed to last f.o.r.e.v.e.r.

Everyday Molly would ask if we could put up decorations. And everyday I had to tell her, “Not today, honey.” I had the best intentions, but I didn’t even have the energy to hang a Christmas stocking. I just lay there, in my Grinch costume, pathetically watching the days click off the calendar, wondering if we were going to have a Christmas this year.

Slowly, I did begin to recover and by Thursday, December 16th (only 9 days before Christmas!) the tree finally went up. By Friday, most of the other decorations were in place and the house was clean. By Saturday, the husband was home and I even had some Christmas shopping done.

I still don’t feel 100%, but at least Christmas will come to our house this year.Hallelujah!

On Friday, Molly had her Christmas Program at school. Praise the Lord that she goes to a Christian school and we can still call it a Christmas Program, but I digress.

Molly was excited to don her Christmas finest, once again, and head to school. She was even more excited to preform in front of a crowd. She looked adorable, as did the rest of the class. Unlike last year, the kids sang out loudly and had animation. What a difference one year of growth and maturity makes!

Here are the kids singling Jingle Bells. They were supposed to sing it through twice, but the kids kept going and going. Probably sang it four times before the teachers could get them to stop. So cute!IMG_5223

Go tell it on the…IMG_5228….mountain, over the hills and everywhere!IMG_5226

Go tell it on the mountain, that Jesus Christ is born!IMG_5227

Class photo at the end of the performance.IMG_5229

That’s my Molly…she eats a bite out of the cookie and then goes straight for the cheese. The girl is obsessed with cheese, I tell ya.IMG_5236

Molly and Makenna in coordinating dresses.IMG_5248

Some of the girls from Molly’s class.IMG_5243

Molly and Mrs. Sivak.IMG_5237

Molly and Mrs. Tullis.IMG_5245

Molly and Mrs. Riley.IMG_5246I take such comfort in knowing that everyday Molly goes to a place where she is so loved.

After school, I asked Molly if she wanted to go sit on Santa’s lap. She gave me a resounding, “Yes!” and went on to tell me that she was going to jump on Santa’s lap and give him a big hug.

Right.

For the past three years we have read about Santa, talked about Santa, practiced  our Santa visit. And for the past three years she gets to the moment where she is supposed to sit on the jolly man’s lap and….refuses.

So this year, I had no hopes that it would happen. I just chuckled to myself when Molly told me that this was the year that she was going to do it.

Well, darn it the girl didn’t prove me wrong! Take a look!IMG_5256Now for the record, there was no hugging, but she sat up there, had her picture taken and told Santa what she wanted: “A Snuggy…you know, the blanket with sleeves, and some books. Okay Santa?”

Alrightly then. A snuggy? Really? Hadn’t heard that before. I guess I have a little more shopping to do!

Yesterday, Molly had Chinese class. Another opportunity to dress up. Because last year’s Gymboree Christmas outfit was so insanely expensive stinking cute, she wore it again this year.IMG_5249

And here’s a little holiday gymnastics to close the blog today.IMG_5252

IMG_5253

No if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to find a Jr. Snuggy…you know, the blanket with sleeves!

No comments: