Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Big Girl Bed, Big Girl Bedroom

Okay, so you know my theory on big transitions for Molly. Wait until she asks for the change, then wait until she begs (a lot) for the change, and then make her wait for another 6 months before said change is allowed. Well, once again, it worked! Molly's transition to the big girl bed was seamless. She left the crib and went right to the bed. She never lost a wink of sleep, never cried or even stressed about it.
l
My big worry about leaving the crib behind is that Molly is no longer confined. She is free to roam around her room or the house at will. So, we had a talk about big girl bed behavior and she knows that she can't get up to play with toys or leave the room. She needs to stay in bed until I come and get her. And the amazing thing is that she is actually is buying that, for now.
p
Each morning I hear, "Mommy, come get me, please." It is so dang cute that I often wait and make her say it a couple of times before I go in, just so I can hear it again. It just makes me smile.
p
Here's what we did for the transformation: On her birthday, Molly napped in our bedroom. This gave Tony and me free access into to her room. We disassembled the crib and changing table, rearranged some furniture, and added a few new pieces. Of course we got all new bedding, as well. We changed the nursery into the big girl room inside an hour. As Molly's last birthday gift, we showed her the new room and she was ecstatic.
p
I know this room will never get 5 stars on HGTV's Rate My Space, but here are a few pictures of our handy work:

The big girl bed with bala-neena (ballerina in Mollyspeake) quilt.

Bedding close up.

My childhood rocker, loving restored by my parents.
l

Cubbies that Tony built prior to Molly's arrival.l


New bookcase and chairs next to the nightstand. For you Dr. Seuss fans out there, we had to check the bookcase to ensure there was no Nook Gase.
l
The dollhouse moved from the living room to Molly's room. Hurray! I love the dollhouse but it doesn't really go with the living room furniture.
l
And I couldn't let a post go by without some gratuitous cute shots of the three year old Miss Molly enjoying her new room.

The classic cross-your-leg-pose, which Molly whips out every time I take a picture.
p
Perusing her private library.
p
Time for a little yoga: the tabletop pose.
p
And some gymnastics for good measure. Reach up high....
p
Touch the sky....
p
Reach down, touch the ground . . .
p
Tuck your head a rooooooooll!

You think that is good, you should see her jump off her big girl bed--she flies! I guess I should probably stop her, but darn it, it looks like so much fun.

No comments: