Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Cabin Fever

The gray skies have settled over the Midwest, the snow is coming in regular intervals, and unlike Colorado--where I grew up--there is nothing to do outside. No decent skiing, snowshoeing, or  sledding. Heck, the snow won’t even pack enough to build a snowman, much to Molly’s chagrin.

This time of year always reminds me on Jimmy Buffett’s song, Boat Drinks.

Boat drinks
Boys in the band ordered boat drinks
Visitors scored on the home rink
Everything seems to be wrong

Lately, newspaper mentioned cheap air fare
I gotta to fly to Saint Somewhere
I'm close to bodily harm

Twenty degrees and the hockey game's on
Nobody cares they are way too far gone
Screamin' "boat drinks", something to keep 'em all warm

This mornin', I shot six holes in my freezer
I think I got cabin fever
Somebody sound the alarm

I'd like to go where the pace of life's slow
Could you beam me somewhere Mr. Scott?
Any ol' place here on Earth or in space
You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Oh I know, (I know)
I should be leaving this climate
I got a verse but can't rhyme it
I gotta go where it's warm!

I desperately want to go somewhere warm. But it ain't gonna happen. You see, this is the first year in a very long time that we are not heading south for a reprieve from the weather. As a result we definitely have cabin fever—but unlike the song I have not repeatedly used a firearm on my freezer.

One of the very first signs of Cabin Fever is hearing your almost five-year-old whine, “Mom! I’m bored! There’s nothing to do!” Christmas was less than a month ago, the kid has more toys than she knows what to do with, but she choses to leave them sit on the shelf and whine that there is nothing to do. Seriously? Nothing?

There is no real cure when your kid has Cabin Fever. You just have to wing it. Throw a bunch of stuff at her and see what sticks. It’s made me dig deep into my creative soul to figure out fun things to do.

I say I dig deep, but my creative soul is actually pretty shallow. I mean I can steal replicate someone else's idea, but am not that good at coming up with interesting things on my own. I just offer up some routine activities and hope that something sounds kind of interesting at the moment.

Here are some random shots from our first of many CABIN FEVER weeks this winter. (Honestly, this is a post about nothing in particular, but these are the only pictures I’ve got this week, I’ll try to make it seem like something.)

Molly has become quite a little artist recently. My first  thought when the “I’m bored!” whine starts is  to have her draw a picture. Molly’s art always has to have an audience. She wants to make artwork for someone. I convinced her that Grandma and Grandpa would  love a  Molly masterpiece to hang on their fridge.

This is what she came up with. I thought it was pretty good. It seems like just a few weeks ago we were limited to pictures of stick figures or suns. Although this one has stick figures and a sun, Molly has broadened her horizons. She’s added onto the basic design to make a meaningful work of art.  IMG_4221

After the first picture she started complaining about being bored again. I told her she always draws on top of her table. She should try drawing under her table. And she actually bought it. .IMG_4222

Hard to believe, I know, but she was pleased as punch to work on a little art project while under the table. Wish I was that easy to please!IMG_4223

Since I had the camera out, I asked Molly to pose for a few pictures. Oh Boy! Now there’s something original! She’s never done that before. But she was having fun, so I went with it. IMG_4225

She thought it was a crack-up to do silly things right as I was snapping the picture. She’s so my kid.IMG_4227

Next  up was a birthday phone call to Mia. Yes, I actually encouraged my daughter to talk to her friend on the phone. But I was desperate. I needed to make the whining stop. I know I will be kicking myself later for teaching her this skill.IMG_4237

Trying to make sure Mom can’t hear what she is saying. Hmmm, I didn’t even teach that. I guess some things are just embedded in a girl’s DNA.IMG_4238

Okay, she’s almost done. I better think of something else to do before she gets off.IMG_4240

How bout more pictures, Molly? This time we’ll put on your jacket and you can do the fashion model photo shoot.IMG_4241

Still thinking it’s funny to goof off right as I snap the picture.IMG_4242IMG_4243IMG_4244IMG_4247

Finally on Saturday we got a brief reprieve from our Cabin Fever: Chinese class. Molly and Avery had matching panda shirts. Yes, it was planned, but cute nonetheless.IMG_4250IMG_4251

So there it is. A post about absolutely nothing. Kinda like Seinfeld. He did a show about absolutely nothing for years, and it worked for him.

Now I think it is just about time for my boat drink.

1 comment:

Michelle Kroll said...

Hello Sister! Here is my little website that I ALWAYS went to when my kids were ging to have a party or were bored. Check it out. BTW, I'm going skiing tomorrow. Will be thinking of you. It's supposed to be 60 and sunny...at least in Denver. Move home. We miss you!

http://familyfun.go.com/

also, btw way now that I'm back from San Antonio where it was 70, I am going to Vegas! It's not China, but a good excuse to be warm in the winter and write it off! Love You!